Kehlani-Sweet Sexy Savage album Review

2:30:00 PM


Kehlani-Sweet Sexy Savage album Review 

The resurgence of RnB is confirmed by the release of Kehlani's first debut studio album and by this release it solidifies the comeback of RnB, if you hadn't realized or  were not that aware well now you will find out.




I first discovered this gem of an artist back when Apple music was first released as a streaming service on one of its perfectly curated playlists appropriately named 'RnB Breakers'  a really good selection of up and coming artists to watch. Out the the 40 plus music tracks on offer I have to say my ultimate favorite was Kehlani's 'you should be hear' a track that took me back the the good old days of RnB when I was just a little boy.



'you should be here' Made such an impression that I had to find out more about this artist so I jumped on YouTube to see if she had a music video for such a sweet song and boy did she have such a personal video you couldn't help but relate to it. After a seeing the video I saw that she did a very sexily choreographed video 'The Way' featuring Chance the Rapper and after being blown away by what range she had I realized she was force to be reckoned with, like fa realz!


Way later with the release of the movie Suicide Squad and its music soundtrack she had music she contributed which were 'Gangsta' and 'CRZY' but I'm thinking crazy was more her own release to coincide with soundtrack. Yet again she still amazed me by making relevant and seriously needed good old RnB.



OK enough of that lets get into this album but if you're still hungry for more on Kehlani I'm sure the Internet will cater you further(Yeah I went there) .
Right, so the album has 18 tracks (that's a lot of music)  I'm guessing that's why it is called a deluxe (trust me I have no idea why it's called deluxe and I've always wondered).



Out of the 18 I've picked these top songs that really peak my interest and like to jam too. As I listen to this album more and more I'm sure others will grow on me but these are just the few that have stood out in the first few listens I have had.

Intro
The intro is super dope and it showcases Kehlani's talent and gives you a bit of a poetic taste of what you're in store for, it also sets the tone and it's a fire intro.



Distraction
My goodness this song! Positively takes you back to the heart of the 90s RnB scene. This is the the best track of the whole album in my opinion.


CRZY
Though it's an oldie I can't see why it shouldn't be included in the album some really cool rap/hip hop vibes she's throwing at us.

Advice
Chilled vibes in this one and way more personal than her other efforts, the way she does this one kinda reminds you of Brandy but that's a good thing when you're being compared to an RnB powerhouse like Brandy.


Do U &Dirty
Yeah she turns into a rapper in this one and she gets down and 'dirty', you gotta be a triple threat to survive in this music industry this is a cool banger.



These are the top songs of the album (for me that is) you might have other favorites heck all 18 could be your thing. Overall what I think of the album is she has pulled off an amazing throwback album to the good old 90's, it's good nostalgia for us who grew up in those times and it's good schooling even if you didn't grow up in the 90's (all the cool kids will get what I'm saying). The album is bit girly but hey it's the 21st century and they certainly ain't nothing wrong with a guy appreciating a very 'pink' album.

I hope you enjoyed this review and I hope I've introduced you to Kehlani (if hadn't known her before) all I can say is I wish her all the best she has great talent and I see a really big future for her. Please share this review with anyone who is into RnB or is into music generally another post I really enjoyed creating, til the next one!

Mr Lunga

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Total Pageviews